By; Our reporter

12th June 2020

Seven new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed by the Ministry of Health – MOH. This brings the number of cases confirmed in Uganda to 686 as of today.

The seven cases were part of 2,532 samples that were tested yesterday from different testing points in the country.

Four of the cases were from alerts and contacts of people who have tested positive. They were picked from the districts of Tororo, Kyotera and Gulu. The other three cases were picked at the Malaba and Mutukula points of entry. All confirmed cases are Ugandan nationals.

Yesterday’s confirmed cases are some of the lowest that the country has reported in the last two months. Despite the reduction in number, the Africa Region World Health Organisation office is worried about the increasing number of cases being reported from the continent as cases surpass the 200,000 mark.

As of today, more than 200,000 cases and 5600 deaths have been reported so far.

This according to the regional director, Dr Matshidiso Moeti is a sign that the pandemic is accelerating at higher speeds than before.

According to WHO, 10 out of 54 African countries are currently driving the rise in numbers, accounting for nearly 80 percent of all the cases. More than 70 percent of the deaths are being reported from Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa and Sudan.

However, Moeti says the increasing cases are not the continent’s only worry at the moment. With some countries reporting cases of false positive cases like Tanzania and Uganda, the results released from COVID-19 testing are being doubted by both the West and locals.

In Uganda, many are waiting for the health ministry to explain how results released from Makerere University declared people who had tested negative as positive.

This comes as A Uganda People’s Defense Force soldier attached to Nakasongola Army Barracks has tested positive for COVID-19. It is reported the soldier had returned to the Barracks from pass leave and subjected to a COVID test, at Bombo Military Barrack.

Lieutenant Ibrahim Ssekito, the Nakasongola Army Barracks Spokesperson says that the soldier had gone for a medical checkup, a routine undertaken before one is redeployed after concluding his leave. He had previously travelled to Kasese district. Upon receiving the results he was transferred to Mulago Hospital for treatment.

Friday 12th June 2020 02:13:45 PM